Melissa Gordon – The Green Grocer
• 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
• salt and pepper
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 cup chicken broth
• ½ cup salsa
• 6 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 15-ounce cans black beans
• 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 16-ounce jar roasted red peppers, sliced into strips
• ¼ cup lime juice
• 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• hot sauce
1. Season chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook the chicken thighs in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together smoked paprika, allspice, chicken broth, salsa, garlic, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin.
3. Combine beans and sweet potatoes in slow cooker. Place chicken on top and pour broth mixture over chicken. Cover with lid and cook on low for eight hours or on high for four hours.
4. Before serving, stir in roasted red peppers and lime juice. Top with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.
Note: My family and I ate this over rice, and we had so much leftover that I refashioned it the next morning at a breakfast with some friends. I topped it with scrambled eggs, sliced avocado and warm tortillas, and told my friends it was huevos rancheros. They were none the wiser!