Article by Live Well Winona Intern: Sam Schierman
Balance is an import concept to use throughout many different aspects of one’s daily activities. Balancing your diet, your work and social life, your sleep schedule, I could go one forever. While balance is important, sometimes we are too focused on physical, occupational, or social balance that we’ve neglected our spiritual health. Here are some ways I’ve found success in bringing balance to one’s spiritual health when things are getting somewhat crazy:
- Surround yourself with positive people. There are millions of people all throughout the world. Finding people that you click with is important because their positivity or negativity will be projected on to you and your friendship. Ensuring that the people you allow in your life are affecting you positively will create and reflect happiness.
- Find an escape. Are your day to day activities stressing you out and dampening your spiritual health? Find a way to take a break, escape these stressors, and relax. For me, I’ve found that my escape is into the outdoors without my phone and all alone. It allows me to break free from the places and people that might be bothering me at the time. Where’s your escape?
- Whatever you do, do not fight change. Every single day there is change going on throughout the whole world. People grow, change. Places can change, the people in them can change. It’s inevitable, but attempting to fight it isn’t going to benefit you. Embrace, invite, and allow that change into your life with welcoming arms. Who knows, change could be for the better and you just don’t know it yet.
- Happy thoughts. Your mindset can either make or break you. If something sad is going on, keeping a positive mindset is important to remaining calm. Along with happy thoughts, once must learn to let go of grudges and negativity, show people kindness.
- Lastly, practice patience. If you are always go, go, go, you start to become impatient and stressed. Stop being in such a rush all the time. I understand if you’re running late to work but don’t allow this rush to become a habit. Take some time to breathe and just admire everything around you, if you don’t you might miss out on some wonders this world has to offer.
With these simple steps I found balance of many parts of my life, most importantly, my spiritual health. Good luck!