With the warmer temperatures rising it’s important to remind yourself about those tiny pesky ticks that can latch onto you when wandering outdoors.
Follow these steps to help prevent a tick-borne illness:
- Use a chemical repellant with DEET
- Wear light-colored long protective clothing
- Tuck pant legs into socks
- Avoid tick-infested areas
- Check yourself and pets for ticks daily
What to do if you find a tick:
- Remove the tick promptly and carefully. Use fine-tip tweezers to remove the tick as close to the skin as possible.
- Seal the tick in a container to bring to your local doctor if symptoms arise
- With warm water wash your hands and the bite site
- Seek medical attention if you think you were bitten by a deer tick if a bullseye rash appears on bite site, or if you develop flu-like symptoms