Have you ever thought much about your birth month? Well let me tell you, having it in December is interesting to say the least. My birthday is early in the month, but it’s still surrounded by Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Hanukkah, Christmas, AND New Year’s. (“My” celebration pales against those.)
This year’s birthday is a little grander, as I’m having another “decade” change. Rather than get all moody over it, I want to share some interesting reflections that only December babies may understand.
With a December birthday;
- Your parents always package your gifts together as your birthday and Christmas present – ya, but at least I’ve been lucky enough to receive presents from my family.
- Your presents almost always come in holiday wrap – isn’t that festive?
- Remember…age is just a number on a piece of paper and it truly is better than the alternative.
- Can you imagine what it’s like trying to schedule a birthday party?
- If you are lucky enough to schedule a party, your decorations are tinsel, lights and mistletoe rather than streamers and balloons. The entire neighborhood has decorated just to celebrate my day.
- Your friends want to get together to celebrate by going ice-skating or caroling. Nah, they don’t let me sing, but people are always in a jolly mood.
- You must grow tired of hearing “it must suck to have a December birthday.” Hmmmm, Valentine’s Day was nine months prior. Isn’t that a romantic thought?
So in the big scheme of things I’m thankful for the presents I receive daily. The gift of life; health, a wonderful daughter and son-in-law, food on my table, a roof over my head to keep me and my kittens warm and dry, a job that I love and friends who accept this quirky aging crazy cat lady I’ve become. You see, these gifts need no wrapping, need no bows, because I am lucky to celebrate this 11 other months a year.
Oh and I must mention I share this birth month with Britney, Ozzy, Jay Z, Nicki Minaj, Brad Pitt, Jake Gyllenhaal, Samuel L Jackson, Louis Tomlinson and Ellie Golding, to name a few. Oh yeah… and the Pope.